Saturday, April 22, 2006

Day on the Ride

Distance = 78.12 miles
Ride time = 5.46.00
Average speed = 13.5 mph
Max speed = 39.0 mph

Day on the ride. This is the practice run so to speak. We started out in Santa Monica. There were rest stops and lunch along the way as it will be on the actual ride. I'm not sure exactly why but this ride felt very tough. The beginning was fine. Elaine was the only person I knew that was riding so we started out together. Lunch was probably the most significant time for me. I hadn't ordered a lunch so I didn't need to wait in line or anything. I had my own food so I just sat somewhere and waited for some people to get theirs. While I was waiting I saw a guy with a massage table in the shade. No one was there so I went over. I've never had a massage but I figured I could start now. Though I wasn't sure if one should get a massage halfway into a 70+ mile ride. I told him about my lower back pain and issues with my knee. He had me lay on my back. He manipulated what I think he said are my sciatic nerves or muscles. Felt like he was playing with my ovaries or something. lol At some point on each side he was rubbing and looking up then said, "there it is." I couldn't tell anything at the time. Then he pulled on my leg to see if that might help even them out a little. Apparently muscle tension can seem to shorten one's legs. Interesting. When I got up I had no back pain. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Niet. For the first time in about 4 years, no pain. It felt like a miracle to me. I know it was simple for him. Thank God I decided to take the chance of getting a massage mid-ride!!

The last part of the ride was very hilly. No mountains. Just lots of rollers. I rode with an older man for a little while who lived in the area we were riding. He talked a lot. I couldn't! lol But I stayed with him. The very end of the ride made it's way through Santa Monica. I was temped to just ditch the last mile and go right to my car at Emily's in Marina del Rey. We passed right by it. But I wanted to finish the ride and get some food. By the time Elaine and I got there most of the food was gone. We got some fruit and a couple tiny pieces of pizza. Strange that they'd run out already. There were plenty of people still behind. I can only imagine that the earlier finishers were pigs or took stuff for their families. Rude!

Good ride. Great weather. But I was ready for it to be over.

No comments: