Sunday, April 29, 2007

Ironman Bike Ride

Lakeville, MN

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Distance = 29.74
Time = 2.10.56
Max = 32.5
Avg = 13.6

First, I just have to say that it is a very good thing I don't drink! I don't think I would have made this ride if I was a drinker! The night before I had gone to Roller Derby with Lorrie and then we drove another 35 miles North of St. Paul for a Barn Dance. They had a really nice fire pit so we stayed for that too. I think we left there around 2am, which meant I got home around 3am. The bike ride started at 6:30am approximately 30 minutes from my house. The latest I could leave the staging area was 9:30am. I left my alarm set for 5am hoping that I could make the earlier start time. HAHAHA! I woke up at 7:30am, which, ironically, is the exact time limit I had for deciding whether I was going to do the ride. I wanted to but was SO tired! I knew I would hate myself if I didn't go. So somehow I rolled myself out of bed, got my stuff ready, and headed out. With Emma in tow. Parking was a NIGHTMARE!! Horrible! Drove around and around thinking I wasn't going to make the 9:30am cutoff because of parking. NOT because I had stayed out so late. Finally parked illegally in a turn lane! lol Checked in and was gone by 9:40am! Phew! I soon figured out what they meant by a family ride. I wanted to make up some time because I had started so late and ended up passing a million people in tennis shoes, regular shorts, and t-shirts. I felt a little silly in my riding garb. (= Not really. I finally was able to relax a little and get into my rhythm as I realized that I was going to get done in fine time. Nothing spectacular but not last. I loved seeing all the little kids riding... either on their own or attached to parents. It would be fun to have Emma along with me on some of these things! lol Maybe someday Emma and a baby!! LOL That would be funny! Anyway, I finished the ride with no issues... except a lot of dodging inexperienced people. Went into the staging area and got my t-shirt. I also bought last years glasses. I thought I might send one to Kammy since they are the beer glasses she likes so much. Then I bought Lorrie a water bottle for her bike. Funny to think someone could have none of those when I have so many floating around in various places. And that's *after* I recycled a bunch of them. (= Oh, and I didn't have the whole $4 for the water bottle so I paid $3.65 and another woman paid the $.35. So I can't take complete credit there! Anyway, I'm definitely glad I was able to roll myself out of bed and get moving. The weather was perfect! A little windy at the end but otherwise great! I wore shorts and a long-sleeve jersey and that worked great. Maybe next year I'll get some sleep and be able to do the 60-miler! lol

No comments: