Friday, July 25, 2008

Devil's Track Lake Campground - Day 3

Got up at 5:30am. But we didn’t know at the time that it was so early. But we were all wide awake. So we went outside and started working on breakfast. We thought it was overcast. But really the sun hadn’t risen! lol As Lorrie was doing breakfast, I checked the time in my car. We had a good laugh about that!

When we were first stepping out of our tent, there were 4 poodles standing at the opening to our site looking at us. They started barking so Emma and Tori barked back. That loud group was already up and apparently they didn’t think their dogs needed leashes. When we walked to the bathroom, they barked some more. I’m sure the other campers appreciated that noise so early!

After sunrise and breakfast, we went back to bed. I feel like my metabolism is still on Red Ribbon Ride speeds so I’m hungry often. I think that’s part of why I have been waking up so early. I’m HUNGRY! But I don’t eat a lot because I’m not riding 70 miles a day so then I get hungry again soon. Anyway… we slept a few more hours before really getting up. Lorrie needed to check her for phone messages so while she and Tori did that, Emma and I moved the chairs down by the lake and played some fetch in the water with some driftwood. She didn’t really get into it until Tori came back. Aww! (= We played down there until lunchtime... heated organic frozen burrito. Very nice to have the lake in our backyard!

At that point, we needed to decide if we were going to stay another day. At first I didn’t want to because of that loud large group. Then we realized that they had “disappeared.” Obviously while we were playing. Anyway, we decided to head toward home thinking we could camp another place along the way if we chose to. A very dark cloud started coming our way, with thunder, just as Lorrie took off the rainfly. It sprinkled a little but we got everything down and in the car very quickly. I’m getting pretty good at packing that car! (= Emma and Tori were already sitting in the backseat watching us the whole time. They always seem to know when to jump in. We drove into Grand Marais and stopped at the outdoor store, the coffeehouse, and a jewelry maker. It was a little chilly there next to the water but it felt good.

We took our time heading back. Stopped for lunch at the restaurant outside Two Harbors with the double decker bus out front. Half pound burger for me, BLT for Lorrie and we were good! From Two Harbors, we took the scenic drive to Duluth. The first half was totally trees and tiny glimpses of Lake Superior. We had to laugh at that “scenery!” Then it go beautiful with the road right up again the water. We saw a few signs along the way for the MS TRAM, a bike ride that Lorrie and I did last year and a couple of her friends did this year. That was kinda cool. They had ridden there early this morning. The drive from Duluth to home was pretty basic. No fun stops. Just potty and food stops for the dogs…. and avoiding I-35 as soon as possible!

I don’t think either of us could be any more well rested or relaxed after this weekend!

No comments: