Saturday, May 02, 2009

Rice Lake State Park

We decided that we needed to get outside some more today. Lorrie was still obsessing about the Pileated woodpecker so we decided to return to Rice Lake State Park. We drove around to all the possible camping areas just to see what was there. Really, the only thing we hadn't seen yet were the "Cart in" sites. We didn't want into them, just went to the parking lot. I think I do that so I can give people directions later. Somehow my little excursions become helpful at a later time! lol

We ended up parking in the picnic area where we had a little bit to eat before setting off for a hike allllll the way around the park. There was water, meadow, forest, road, pretty much everything but mountains. We also saw these little crablike things that I are unfamiliar to me.... except from being in Houston and LA. So I'll have to look up what those things are! The ones we saw were all dead so I'm sure the photo doesn't show their "live coloring."

After the hike, we hung out at the picnic area for a little while so Tori could spend a little time outside. I can't wait to get her leg fixed so she can come along on more of these hikes! (=

1 comment:

Jason Zabokrtsky said...

Hi Outdoor Girl, you found the shell of a crayfish. If you want to spot a live one, the best time is at night. Get out your flashlight and shine it into some shallow water with a rocky bottom. Crayfish are sometimes referred to as poor man's lobster. You can boil them for a minute, break the shell away, dip them in butter, and enjoy! Cheers, Jason at www.BoundaryWatersBlogger.com.