Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My Review of REI Quarter Dome T2 Tent

REI

Our Quarter Dome T2 tent uses an innovative new design to create a strong, ultralight tent with generous interior volume and an easy setup.

Condensation Problem

TwoTireDoc Minnesota 7/15/2009

3 5

Gift: No

Pros: Comfortable, Lightweight, Easy To Set Up

Cons: Collects Condensation

Best Uses: Backpacking, Beach, Hiking

Describe Yourself: Avid Adventurer

What Is Your Gear Style: Comfort Driven

I purchased this tent to use for backpacking. I decided on the T2 vs T1 so that I could have more room for my dog and pack inside. I was glad to have made that choice when my backpacking partner kept calling out to me that her dog was taking over their tent. On my latest week-long backpacking trip on the Superior Hiking Trail, set up was easy and it was lightweight enough. Overall pretty good. The only problem was that the material under the ventilation openings kept touching the screen material of the tent. Of course I didn't notice that until a morning of great condensation, which then dripped into the tent. After returning from the trip, I went to the nearby REI store to ask for suggestions on what I might do differently or to find out if my particular tent was irregular. The clerk said to keep the ventilation openings closed. To which I said, "Aren't those a major component of the tent? And aren't they intended to keep condensation low?" He also referred to all these positive reviews, which was part of the reason I purchased the tent in the first place. Anyway, I am still trying to decide about returning it. If anyone has found a fix for the drip, I am willing to try it as I really enjoyed the tent otherwise. I just want to be comfortable with the possibility of rain!

()

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have a scale that can do ounces (preferably 10th of ounces), would you mind weighing the fly, tent and poles separately? REI doesn't post this info and I can't find it. Thanks!

twotiredoc said...

Unfortunately I don't have an ounces scale. I keep thinking I'll take it to the grocery store and weigh it there so I can answer your question. But that just hasn't happened yet. If I decide to go for complete dorkiness, I'll weigh it there and post the results here. (=