Saturday, August 14, 2010

Two Harbors Scenic Route

Distance = 39.41 miles
Time = 3.09.36
Max speed = 28 mph
Average speed = 12.5

A weekend in Two Harbors! A ramshackle little cabin right on Lake Superior. Though the inside of the cabin was actually quite clean and well-kept... it was the outside that looked like it was going to collapse. lol I think I'm ready for 40 miles. That seems like so much compared to what I've done the past year with my back and calf being such pains... literally! So off I go around 11am with the intention of making it the entirety of the scenic route into Two Harbors. I did! But I wasn't going to make 40 miles with just that so I went through Two Harbors. And then beyond. Until I got to a hill that I was going to go down... knowing I would then have to come back up in no time. So I stopped for a break and then turned around. There was a car show going on in Two Harbors so I saw a lot of old cars going by while I took my break. Going back seemed much more difficult. Once I got back to the scenic route, there was a pretty major headwind that knocked out a little of my energy. So I just chugged along. I have always known I would finish what I started. But the last five miles or so were actually quite painful. I ran out of Accelerade around that time and was getting low on water. Though there are restaurants along the route where I could have refilled if it had been a major problem. As I rounded the corner and saw the sign to our cabins, I realized I was not going to make 40 miles and considered riding past just to make that happen. Then I decided that my legs were toast and my ego is well-intact. So I stopped. My legs were a little rubbery but I eventually recovered and we headed out for a wonderful, though very slow and late, dinner out. Success!

1 comment:

Jade Summer said...

Are you looking for two harbors cabins? Well Island View Resort is the answer.Island View Resort is located in Knife River, MN and is your best choice for a Lake Superior Lodging experience on the North Shore in northern Minnesota. We are nestled in a large grove of white pines just 14 miles from Duluth. Our resort features beautiful views of Lake Superior. We are minutes away from Duluth and Two Harbors and provide a pet-friendly atmosphere in selected cabins. Are you looking for Duluth Cabins? Take a look at our Lake Superior Cabin specials!

Visit this site: http://www.islandviewresortmn.com/