Sunday, May 27, 2012

Morgan Territory - Training Ride 12

Distance - 12.22 miles
Time - 1.28.19
Average Speed - 8.3mph
Max Speed - 27.5mph

Another quick ride today. Two main goals. One... get my shoes even more set. Two... ride the Morgan Territory Climb faster and with less pain than previously. Both goals were met. Though, of course, the caveat is that the first time I rode Morgan Territory it was a 60-mile ride and I had gone about 40 miles with some previous climbing before getting to Morgan Territory. Bozo came along to SAG for me. I started at the Peet's Coffee in Concord and started out with some climbing right away. Bike lanes were great until I got to Marsh Creek Road. Bozo had stopped by the side of the road with Blue after I had been buzzed by a few cars already. Memorial Day Weekend and all. So I asked her to drive me to Morgan Territory Road where there would be much less traffic. That just felt like the safer decision. I had seen no other cyclists at that point and I wasn't with a group. I'd rather not be a Memorial Day road statistic if I can help it! So I jumped in the car with my helmet on and Bozo drove me up the road about a mile or so. There was VERY little traffic on Morgan Territory Road. It was as steep as I remember with all those fun switchbacks. But it wasn't nearly the same struggle and I definitely went much faster.

Bozo had planned on driving to the top and just waiting for me with Blue. But it was such a pretty area that she would drive a little ways and then wait until she could see me then drive up a ways again. I liked seeing the car, it gave me something to ride toward. She also protected me at one point from a car coming around a corner. They had to go pretty far out to get around her so they had to also slow down, which gave them time to see me sooner. The few cars and motorcycles that went by were mostly very respectful. That was good!

I had to stop twice throughout the ride to adjust my shoes. I think I may have finally gotten them right. And I have to say that the road pedals are definitely more stable than my old mountain biking pedals that I've been using for years. I got the Shimano 105s. The shoes, Giro Solara, are also very comfortable. I like the ratcheting system! Now I just have to be sure everything is lined up the way I need and I'll be good to go. My knees don't like it when things are not lined up so it's pretty important.

No comments: