Tuesday, June 06, 2006

ALC/LifeCycle 5 - Day Three (June 6, 2006)

Today was a, excuse my language, mind fuck for me! From the day I signed up for this ride, people have been threatening with, talking, teasing, and warning about QUADBUSTER! I've climbed so many hills in training... including that 13-mile mother toward the end of the Mulholland Century. Quadbuster is a measley 1.3 miles! We did our usual relatively slow spin for the first 10 miles or so then picked up some speed into the first rest stop at 18.9 miles. My legs were tired and stiff. And my brain was making me afraid of the hill. Damn it! So I hung out at the rest area for about 20 minutes... everyone else had gone on after about 10. I went and got the miracle drug ibuprofin, did some stretches, and then basically pounded on my thighs to loosen them up. I checked the air in my tires and I ate some food. I was really ready... but I was scared. There are no pictures! I'm sure you can understand why. However, next time maybe I should take some and that would loosen me up a little! Anyway, at some point I had to tell myself that it's just another hill and I would just do the best I could with the energy that I have. So I got on my bike and went. The climb started almost immediately. Fine. There were people peppering the side to cheer the riders on. That helped. There was a group yelling and waving signs a ways up so I just made them my goal. I stood up and climbed like I've done a gazillion times before. And wouldn't you know it, my legs loosened up. Miracle? ha! I get to the little group and find out that's halfway. What? Already? So off I go. It wasn't easy and I actually dripped a drop of sweat from my brow (I don't sweat like that very easily)... but I was doing it. Then I saw "Mom and Dad" (who I wish I had pictures of but they were always in the most difficult riding places, thankfully, and I could/would never stop to take the photo)... and they said, "Almost there!" I asked, "Is *that* the top??" At "yes" I was amazed so I stood up again and finished strong. What a dork to be so afraid... but it was my reality at the time... and it was good to face something like that and know that I could overcome it! The photo is me at the top... ever so happy to have that over with! Kenny and Khoa were at the top waiting for me. We stayed another 5 or so minutes to cheer the others up and then we took off. Lunch was in a little town called Bradley. It was barren from what I could tell. There were 2 trees and LOTS of sun! It was funny how many of us crowded under the small amounts of shade regardless of the fact that we smelled, were dirty, and had been in crowds for 3 days now. Personal space? No such thing in "ALC-R!" I kinda like that... helped me to loosen my boundaries just a little. (= I went and got my shoulder blade (might be my trapezius but I'm really not sure what muscle that one is) rubbed some more. Cute little dykey thing went to town on my back and neck. It was great! I think it was here that I was also introduced to zinc oxide. I was trying to be good about sunscreen... but besides my Blistex hadn't put anything on my lips. So they got burned and I developed a blister! Relatively minor considering some of the other things that could have happened. But it was annoying... so I asked... and they gave me zinc oxide. It's white and it doesn't rub in!! LOL VERY attractive for the modern cyclist out there! Cyclists are also relatively creative when it comes to trying to stay cool! I don't know this guy but he went from lining the back of his head with ice... to this pose. Seemed to work pretty well for him. I tried soaking my ponytail thinking it would keep my back cool for a little while. Ha! Even with all that hair, it still dried within a matter of minutes. Geez! So much for that idea! There was plenty of water on hand so we did okay staying hydrated. And being hot is just part of the experience. (= Besides, we can still have some fun! Suzann, Kar, and Khoa stay cool and have some laughs. I have to write about this rest stop real quick. The theme was "After Prom." One of the morning rest stops was "Prom" so this was the after party. Anyway, apparently it was supposed to be a 666 theme because of the date. So the devils and witches and whomever showed up to start decorating. But the rest stop is a Mission! lol The people at the Mission had some issues with the Devil taking over their space! Ha! So they switched it with one of the themes for Day 4! Too funny! But shows the flexibility and creativity of the roadies! I don't really remember much of the ride after that rest stop. lol Maybe I was in my own little world, maybe I was delirious, I'm just not sure. We were camped at Paso Robles Fairground for the night. We got to sit INSIDE to eat and be entertained! It was nice and a simple pleasure! The showers and food were pretty damn far from the tents. But I guess it doesn't hurt to do some walking. After dinner it was convenient because I had taken my toothbrush and just got ready for bed right there. Cup half full again! (= A couple funny things about camp this night. First, it was the first chance I had to charge my cell phone. There were a couple main places with plugs and there were cell phones all over the place. I got there late so I put mine in a plastic bag and left it out overnight. Second, there was a women's (maybe girl's) roller derby scrimmage. They had invited us to come watch. So we stood outside and watched through this big window. One of the women behind me knew the rules so she was giving us clues what to yell. We cheered for the team that had told us their name... the other team gave us the finger! LOL I guess that's fitting for roller derby! We yelled at/for them for a little while and then I took off. This is the best picture I could get under the conditions. I tried numerous times. ::sigh:: It was a good distraction for a few minutes. But it was late in "ALC-R" and I needed to get some sleep. My tent mate had a hotel for the night so the tent was all mine! It was nice to be able to spread out a little! But it also means I have to put the tent up in the morning! lol Damn that cup and it's half full half empty!!

No comments: