Saturday, August 12, 2006

Rides Since...

I've ridden approximately 200 miles since the AIDS Ride. That's pretty pathetic eh? I still run and stay active. But life got in the way after the intensity of training. A week or so after the ride, I took off from my place in downtown LA and rode to Santa Monica then did the training ride that climbs past Malaga Cove to the Rancho Palos Verdes gas station... I can't remember the name damn it! It was strange to ride that climb alone and to have no encouragement. But I made it to the top and then sat and chatted with a gentleman on a mountain bike. Egads I don't know how people can ride those bikes on the road! I do enjoy the whirring sound of the knobby tires though! lol Anyway, I was pleased that I still had enough strength in my legs to do that climb. A few weeks later I met up with my riding partners from the actual ride and we did a little 30 miler around Beverly Hills and adjacent. It was SO nice to be able to ride with a group again.... a group of 4. We took it easy so we could talk and reminisce. It was great! That was during one of the little heat waves and we happened to have overcast that particular day. Very lucky!! I've done some other little rides here and there. I've written down the mileage and times and all that. But I'm not in techie mode at the moment so I'll spare you the details. I had hoped to be signed up for next year's ride by now. But I still don't know where I'll be working or living. Wherever I'm working, I would still like to train and fly in for the ride. I know it won't be nearly as enjoyable without the formal training rides. But that's in the future and I'll take it as it comes. For now, I'm still trying to keep in shape and stay ready for when my riding buddies come acallin'!!

No comments: