Monday, June 23, 2008

BWCA II - Day 2

Travel - East Loon Bay through a very tiny opening > Little Loon Lake (no more motors!) > portage 173r > Slim Lake

Awake pretty early, around 6am. But went back to sleep until about 8am. I had woken up once in the middle of night because my hands were swollen and asleep. I hate that! But they have lots of mosquito bits and a bit of sunburn on them. Ouch! I had oatmeal for breakfast and the others had oatmeal bars and coffee. We got packed up pretty quickly and were off heading away from the motors and toward Little Loon Lake. Which actually was quite little. Paddling was SO much easier with less wind. Steering seemed a little easier for Lorrie too! We made it to our first and only portage in no time. The portage was FROM HELL! 173 rods into Slim Lake. Tons of muck and mosquitoes. A lot of uphill with rocks and logs to balance on. It was my turn to take the food pack, so I did that one first. I was pretty sure I would just fall over and die with that thing on my back. It is SO freaking heavy! Lorrie did great with the canoe!! We all stopped at one point because there was too much muck to balance the canoes through. So Sue and Terry took their and we took ours about 3 rods holding them by the handles on the ends. I'm sure there's a name for them. I don't know it! Then we resumed our positions. I hated putting that pack on my back again! lol We ended up having to straddle and climb over two downed trees. Lorrie got a little gash on her leg from one that had little branches poking out. Then we got to go back and do it again! We still had our two packs and 1 of Terry and Sue's plus some paddles and misc. stuff. I cannot describe well enough in words how the mosquitoes were for me. I seem to be their main dish while everyone else is just hors d'oeuvres. I hate that! I need better bug spray! Or, I heard before we left that taking a B Complex regularly repels them. That would be good! As soon as we got to the end, Lorrie and I put the canoe in the water so we could get away from the swamp asap. Turns out the campsite we were aiming for is right around the corner on Slim Lake so we didn't go very far. The only other site on the lake was taken. The other looked like it might have more of a breeze but ours seemed okay too. Right on a point with views all around. There were a few good spots for our tents. So we are set!

We got settled in and it was time for lunch. Bagels with peanut butter and/or cream cheese, chips, trail mix, some kind of nuts, and candy for dessert. By this time a nice breeze kicked up and it felt really good! We all decided to take a swim to cool down and clean off some of the muck. Then Lorrie and I decided to go exploring. We took the canoe and headed toward the other portage on this lake. We did the 52r portage with the canoe and day pack. It too was quite swampy and buggy. At the other side was Section 3 Pond. At first it was like a very small river with reeds along both sides. Very pretty! I was steering at this point and it had to be pretty precise with the small width. I think I did okay. And, for some reason, we bickered less with me steering. Hmm! We came out onto this very tiny pond. It feels so secluded! We started working on a Horror screenplay. (= There was one campsite there that we stopped to check out. It was tiny, just like the pond. Our little tent would have fit, but that's about it. I imagine it being pretty buggy right now. It was also a pretty sketchy climb up to the site. At the end of the pond was another little portage to South Lake. We parked the canoe out of the way and did the 52r portage carrying nothing. That was nice! But it was still buggy. Lorrie twisted her ankle looking around at scenery. We usually don't get to do that with all our stuff on our backs. We usually have to be aware of every step. I guess we should be anyway! (= At the end it was very mucky and, YES!, buggy! So we turned around quickly. But we did notice that it looked like it had been flooded. I'm not sure how far we'd have to walk in to get going with a canoe. The walk back was uneventful. Back in the canoe with Lorrie steering. She wanted to do a quick video for her family. Cute!




Everything was going great until we got back to the portage. We'd put on our mosquito nets in preparation. I planned on carrying the canoe this time. We had some trouble getting it up on my shoulders. We'd also left our Nalgene bottles dangling, which posed some problems in my balance. Also, my hands were exposed and were on the canoe so I was really being bitten. I would look up and there would be 4 or 5 mosquitoes on each hand. I need to do something to prevent that next time! Then the water bag came lose and was going to drag (sorry Sue!) but Lorrie went to take it off the canoe. In the process she accidentally pushed the canoe forward and down, which rammed my neck with the yoke. Ouch! So then I just wanted to get out of there quickly. Which I did, though not very gracefully. We snapped at each other a few times and then, once in the canoe, away from the bugs, talked about it. No one's fault, we just wanted to get out of there fast and weren't working very well together at the moment. We got the video made and headed the short way back. We had to stop in the middle of the lake to fill up with water. Then came in to a PAR-TAY! The girls had brought out the hooch and were a little tipsy. Vodka and raspberry schnapps. Guess that's what they went to when the water ran out! (= We drank a little and then had some dinner. Pork and noodles. Yum! Can you tell I get very excited about the food!? lol

After dinner, we went swimming again to cool off. I, so far, am always the last person in the water. They all step out onto a rock and then basically sit back into the water and float with their life jackets. I don't like the idea of going backwards into the water... partly because it's water and partly because I don't want to ram my ass into a rock. lol Where that fear came from I have no idea. So I stand there, then squat down, whine a little, then finally glide into the water... screaming the whole way. It's very relaxing! lol After swimming it's time for our evening-wear. Pants! (= Sue started a fire, Terry did some fishing, and we just hung out. At some point, Lorrie, I think it was Lorrie, discovered a turtle digging a very deep hole with both of her back feet. Seems like she dug for almost an hour. Lorrie watched her most of the time and yelled when she started dropping eggs. Five total! Amazing! Then she had to cover them up again. Imagine if we had to do all that work while in labor! We were all fascinated. It is still not dark and we are all ready for bed. Lorrie and I decided to leave the rainfly pulled back to get some air. We'll see how that works!

No comments: