Friday, April 23, 1993

Bergen Park IV

Distance - 5.56
Time - 0.51.33

I went up to Evergreen to go to Alderfer/Three Sisters. But, when I finally found it, it was too wide open for as windy as it was out. VERY WINDY! So, I went back to familiar territory in Bergen Park. It was windy there too but as usual once I got back into the mountains it was blocked. I went the same direction as last time but took the long way around up Sleepy "S" instead of cutting across Elk Ridge. Going down I again made it around the "killer switchback" but decided I needed to try going up it. So I had to do it 5 times before I made it. BUT I DID MAKE IT! That made me extremely happy. Hopefully if I ever go that direction again I can remember how I did it. Basically, I was just going too slow and when I tried it faster I made it. No finesse. It ended up being 5.56 miles and I did it in 51 minutes and 33 seconds. Total miles are 52.

I did that friggin switchback SO many times before I finally got it. It was so frustrating! I just kept walking my bike up again so I could try it over. I was generally the type of person to take what I thought was the correct line rather than to just power through things. On this one, I learned that finesse just doesn't always cut it. I always loved this trail! Even when I moved back to Denver with Kammy I would go back to Bergen over and over. I can still smells the scents and hear the sounds! (= Ahh the good ol' days!

No comments: