Monday, July 16, 2007

Webster Loop

July 16, 2007

Distance = 40.32
Time = 3.31.08
Max speed = 26.0
Avg speed = 11.5

Remember that loop I kept trying to do but never could quite finish? Well, this was it. Again. It's a 40 mile ride and we needed to get a 40-miler in soon before heading out for TRAM. So off we went around 8am. FINALLY and early start! lol I didn't like doing that first road, Old Dutch or something like that, because I had done a few times and turned around. But I was determined not to do that and with Lorrie there it was less likely that I would. So we made it to Webster. It was HOT and we needed more water. It's a very small township with not much on the main street so we stepped into the post office thinking they might have a water fountain or something. The clerk said she wouldn't suggest we drink water from Webster! lol That sounded a little scary. But she suggested the feed store across the street might have some water. They did and we were happy. Off we went again. Lots of long country roads. Pretty scenery with the various fields and farms and such. I can't help but have thoughts of the ocean go through my mind... that used to be my scenery. But I am seeing the beauty in this area as well. We got near Lonsdale and somewhere the road sortof ended. The directions, from that semi-useless book, seemed thorough but I should have known better. So we did some off-roading and ended up near the Casey's where we were supposed to be. lol That's one good thing about small towns... things are relatively easy to happen upon. We sat there for a little while so I could eat half a sandwich and drink some water. I was very hungry for some reason. And it was friggin' hot by that time! We had a bit of confusion about how to find Hwy 1 outside Lonsdale. I could see where we were supposed to be and where we were but the street signs didn't really match the directions. The problem is there are street names and many of them are also county roads. They aren't always consistently labeled so directions might say to turn left on Jones St. but the street sign says Cty. Rd. 10. Confusing! Anyway, I knew we needed to generally go south and west so we just kept going. I kept hoping I was doing it right because Lorrie was trusting me. Scary! O8 After we passed a couple cows trying to mate... never saw that in California!... we got to Hwy 1. Yeah, I knew the whole time what I was doing!! Phew! The rest was pretty easy direction-wise. But it was getting hotter and our water was depleting quicker. So we stopped in another little township at a "store," which ended up really being a bar! lol That turned out well because I just had her refill the bottles from their tap instead of buying those half-size bottles for twice the price. They also had incredible televisions in there! Wide screen LGs. Wow!! Would be a great place to watch... roller derby! lol As we were crossing over I-35 again, a woman in an SUV honked at us and gave the thumbs up. That was cool! (= Back home... and Lorrie had a record distance ride! (= She's definitely ready for TRAM!

No comments: