Sunday, April 13, 2008

First Ride 2008

Distance = 10.21
Time = 54.43
Average speed = 11.1 mph

Sunday afternoon and we decided to get our butts on our bikes and start the training season. We decided to do the end road from our usual 20 mile route out past Dundas. I think we took longer to get ready than we did on the actual ride! lol But it was cold and we had to figure out how much clothing to wear so that we'd be warm but not overheat. It's a science really! I think we did pretty well. Lorrie had her regular riding gloves on so her fingers were cold. But I think that was the only problem we had. We rode our behind Target and Cub on Jefferson Rd. and then down over Hwy 3 toward Dundas. We wound our way through Dundas and out to Hwy 1. A little different than Hwy 1 in California! (= There ended up being quite a bit of traffic. And the shoulder was basically non-existent. We rode that route in the middle of the summer and both remembered having more space, at least on the one side. With sand and such from winter, the shoulder was gone. Add to that all the pot holes on the side of the road and it was actually quite dangerous. Not a road we'll be riding again soon. At least not without a group. We rode out 5 miles and turned around to go back the same way.

It felt good being on the bike again. I just got mine tuned up about a month ago and it felt great! I've had a little catch or pop in my bottom bracket, or so it seemed, so I got that taken care of. I also got a new rear crank and chain. It's like new! Lorrie's was just tuned up last year so hers is good too. I'm sure we'll feel this in our butts soon. But for now, it's a good start to the season!

Jennifer reviews the ride...

No comments: