Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Hills and Wind

Commute:

Distance = 3.74 miles
Time = 12 minutes

The Actual Ride:

Distance = 14.62
Time = 1.15.35
Avg speed = 11.6 mph
Max speed = 24.5 mph

So I'm at least approaching the 12 mph average speed! That's a good thing! Especially since this was my first hilly ride this season. We decided to head out toward Dennison on Woodley. The wind was blowing South to North so we had a pretty good side wind most of the way out. We saw a group of guys racing up one of the hills working hard against the wind. I admit I wondered what it would feel like to be that strong and fast. I've probably been that strong in the past so I can guess that one. But fast, not compared to those kind of riders. A goal in the making eh? Lorrie stopped at about the 4 mile point and I went on. So I got to turn onto Hwy 42 into a major headwind. I love working hard to go downhill. That's *so* fun! But, it's always in the back of my mind that coming back up will be that much easier. So I went out to just over 7 miles. At that point my brain starting pumping. It's getting late, I can see the sun dropping a little, what if the wind does as it sometimes does and hits me head on both ways, I'm hungry, is that the beginning twinge of a cramp in my underused leg, etc. So I turned around. Honestly, the major factor was wind. I honestly have had too many experiences where it's a headwind every direction. Seems to be mainly a Midwest thing as it happened more in Michigan and here than it did in California. Maybe it's the corn! Anyway, point is, I turned around. Problem was, I wanted to go even slightly further than I had before. That didn't happen. But my original thoughts about the wind were correct. I had an awesome tailwind coming up the first bigger climbs. That was nice. Then the side wind hit and going downhill wasn't quite so fast. I was climbing the 2nd to last hill and, really, the sun was in my eyes. There was Lorrie. But I didn't see her right away. She was right next to the road. lol That's how low and bright the sun was. When I got right up to her I realized it was her and stopped for a moment. She had just been chilling out enjoying the breeze and being outside. This is the epitome of Lorrie if there ever is one! So she jumped on my tail and we made our way home. It's always good to get the first hills and the first wind out of the way.

Interestingly, I was not winded the entire time. I know I'm not in great shape cardiovascularly. So what that tells me is my legs are even worse!! lol Won't take long to catch them up to my underdeveloped cardiovascular shape... got the legs from both my parents. But once they catch up, I've got some major work to do before July!! Nine days of riding seems impossible at this moment! Well, not really. I wouldn't have signed up if I thought that. But I do have my work cut out.

No comments: