Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Cannon City Loop

June 26, 2007

Distance = 29.05
Time = 2.22.17
Max speed = 33.0 mph
Avg speed = 12.2

HOT! HOT! HOT! Remember that short route I did a couple months ago that I "just knew" had a good ride in it? Well turns out it's a regular ride for the cycling group in town. So I figured it was time to just do it. As I sometimes do, I started a little later than intended. It was about noon. And it was about 100 degrees. Call me crazy, but I kindof like that. Not while I'm in it necessarily. But it keeps me drinking water and somehow keeps me from cramping. So I went out from Northfield on Division, turned a slight right onto 20, then onto 22. All with a headwind. That, along with the heat, did make it pretty difficult. It was also during this ride that I remembered I am more interested in longer distances and find myself discouraged in the first 15-20 miles of many rides. Strange. And then I find my rhythm. I just needed to remember. There was also a lot of climbing on this particular route... with a head wind. All of these factors made the whole thing a little difficult. I just had to keep telling myself that I love this crap! lol Once I turned off 22 onto the road into Nerstrand Blvd, I thought maybe it would settle down a bit. But no. Not as many hills but the head wind was still there. But *then* I turned toward the town of Nerstrand, can't remember the road, and the tailwind was incredible! I hit 29 mph at one point and I was basically coasting. That was a nice break! I turned for a short detour to get some water and peanut butter crackers in Nerstand. I sat outside the gas station for a few minutes. I talked to a man with a prosthetic leg that had photos decopaged (sp) into it who was also from Northfield. He was taking a Saturday cruise on his motorcycle, just checking out the small towns in the area and seeing where the roads would take him. Cool! Then I talked to an older gentleman who warned me that it was just too hot to be outside exercising at this time. He was very sweet! I actually liked Nerstrand. It would be interesting to go check out prices of houses for sale there. I digress. Back on the road. As I was riding again down the highway, a man pulled up next to me in his car and slowed down. Of course I got a little nervous and was ready to use my bike as a weapon if necessary. But he said he was lost and needed directions. I've lived in urban areas, maybe that doesn't matter, so I stayed far enough away from him that he wouldn't be able to touch me. Paranoid eh? Safe though! Anyway, I tried to help him enough that he wouldn't realize that I actually had no idea where I was. But he was trying to get to Mankato and I knew he was going the wrong direction for that. So I gave him directions to Northfield and told him that was the only place I knew how to start from. He seemed thankful and took off. Strange to be stopped on a highway like that. Back to riding. Got to the next stop sign and, according to my map, had a choice I could make. It seemed like one had fewer hills so I took that one. In retrospect, I don't think either way would have been better in that regard. The way I chose just gave me a straighter route back to my house. But there were helacious hills there! One had been labeled by the Nfld Cycling Club as a King of the Mtn climb. Holy crap! I talked to my legs and asked them to keep going. I called them a few names to get them angry too. That seemed to work a little. But the girls respond best to niceties. (= I made it back to 426 or 406 or whatever Division becomes and headed back home. In the end, it was a great ride and just what I needed to get into TRAM training mode. Later in the evening I drove Lorrie on the route and she was impressed with the hills.

No comments: