Friday, June 29, 2007

Sakatah from Elysian

June 29, 2007

Distance = 22.72
Time = 1.39.04
Max speed = 23 mph
Average speed = 13.7 mph

Lorrie and I met Daryl and Tim in Elysian to do a ride along the Sakatah together. Daryl and Tim are also doing the MS TRAM so we figured it might good to bike together one day before the official ride. I already knew they would be much faster than us. But it was fun to ride with them anyway. They led us through Waterville past Camp Dells, which I realized was a place my family had camped when I was younger. I always wondered why Wisconsin Dells seemed so close when I was a kid! lol Easy! 'Cause that's not where we'd gone!! Mystery solved! Anyway, we started out at a good pace. Tim had ridden from Mankato so he was all warmed up. Not that that was why, but they were well ahead of us in no time. Still a beautiful ride. Lorrie had a bit of a fit about shifting gears on hills. It was cute. She figured it all out later. We rode about 14 miles or so on the trail and then road. Then we came to a point where we could continue on the trail or go back. Lorrie decided to head back toward the cars on the trail and the rest of us decided to go on a little bit further. So we did. It was good riding with them at about 19-20 mph. They, of course, were chatting and laughing. I was huffing and puffing! lol I'd not ridden that fast consistently this season so it was a challenge. We turned around about 5 miles out. Tim went ahead since he had to get back to Mankato so it was just Daryl and me. About 3 miles in, we were pulling into Waterville. Daryl was telling me a story and I suddenly felt like I was going to vomit or "the other." We found an outhouse by the high school and I was pretty violently sick. He said that was the first time he'd made anyone *that* sick with his talking. I wasn't sure I could keep riding so I just sat on the curb for a little bit. We decided that he should go on and let Lorrie know so that if I needed a ride, she could come back and get me. So he left and I sat. Then I got on my bike and rode about 20 feet before realizing I just couldn't do it. Such a strange feeling! So I called Lorrie and she had just gotten to my car. She came back and got me and we met Daryl for lunch at Tucker's in Elysian. lol I ate a little bit just to see how it went. Seemed fine. Just a little weak. About an hour later, I felt perfectly fine. The only thing I could guess was that I had pushed too hard to keep up with the boys AND it was the worst day of my period. (Hey, it's *my* blog!). I was a little embarrassed that it happened with those guys. I admit I was trying to impress them a little with being able to keep up. Guess I got put in my place eh? lol Anyway, it was still a good ride. Like I've said before... a bad day cycling is better than a good day doing pretty much anything else. (= Maybe next time I'll be able to keep down my breakfast.

No comments: